Friday, August 7, 2009

The Day I Died

Uploading data.......

............

Uploaded.

Enter Command: "Playback"

........

Processing.......

Playback holotape records. (Y/N)

........

Processing.......

Holotape Entry 1:

Time: 16:53

Date: August 17, 2279

Begin Playback:

.............................

My name is Dan Vakolari, or Devs as everyone calls me, and I am apart of the Enclave's Science Division in charge of research and development of a new strain of FEV virus. Or at least I was until my current situation. *coughing* If you are hearing this...then I am already dead. That's how these things start right? I wouldn't know....my whole life has been spent in a science lab inside a base called Raven Rock. I heard stories about the Capitol Wasteland and all its horrors, but have never actually been outside myself to experience it. That all changed a few days ago. My head still aches from the explosion so I may be getting a few things mixed up. Let me backup so at least someone will know who I am if the unthinkable happens.

As I have said, my current assignment was the development of a stain of FEV that kills mutation, instead of creating it. My team and I have made brilliant breakthroughs in the last few weeks and completion seemed so close, I could grab it from my mind and be done with this mess. Our biggest problem was the lack of field tests if any at all. Sure, small lab tests in controlled environments ensured great success, but what about in such a chaotic environment as the outside world? Simply put, we needed data and I was the man to gather it. I was given a small team of grunts, but due to our current status was not given a vertibird. The Enclave wanted to remain hidden for the time being, so all vertibirds were grounded until otherwise. Imagine the bordom the pilots must be facing! Heh, if I only got a vertibird I wouldn't be in this mess.

*Harsh coughing* Ugh, I don't even know what happened! We were on our way to the basin when it happened. We stopped at an old scrapyard to rest for a bit before continuing onward when an explosion apparently knocked me unconscious. All I remember are my fellow comrades sitting around a broken bus, laughing and going on, when I hear and explosion that seemed to go off in my ear and then later to wake up here. My brothers....all dead....I just can't imagine....heaps of twisted metal and scorched earth surround what used to be a bus. I lie here next to a bent shelving unit with my lab coat and a gun that fell under a car. It looks to be a small pistol using 9mm ammo. I also found a knife and a couple stimpacks, but the rest was stripped from my brothers. Somebody killed them to take their possessions, but who would do such a thing? I have been here for almost a day and I already hate it.

I don't know what to do or even where I am, so my current plan is to stay here and gather myself. My head still feels like a pressure tube begging for release. For now I think I'll try to get some sleep in an abandoned bus, hopping I'm not killed in my sleep. Whoever did this could be back and I don't want to stick around to find out if they do. Hopefully I never have to share these logs with anyone, but if someone finds this........right now I just can't think of that. For now I'll hope for the best. Signing off, this is Devs, the unluckiest man in the world.

End Playback.

............

0 comments:

Post a Comment