Thursday, August 20, 2009

Scientific Endeavors

((A note from the Author: Ok, new format with this one. Comment on whether you like when I tell the story as if it has happened, if it is happening, or both. Also instead of doing a side note about my mods, I have incorporated them into my episodes as a link. Check for highlighted text.)

Processing request.....

......................

Uploading data.............

................................

Holotape: 13

Time: 21:14

Date: August 30, 2279

..........................................

I am starting to wonder why I continue these holo-logs. They were meant to be a last recording if anything was to ever happen to me....but now...now they are just habit. True, I haven't recorded in a few days, but I finally have gotten back to what I love to do. Megaton is no Rivet City, or so I hear, but a scientific mind still flourishes. The safety and supplies that come through won't let me create or research the things I did back at base, but instead make better tools for survival and comfort.

Lately i have been helping repair structures and utilities too make a....living. it's funny to say that now, after what I have been through, but it is so convenient to have a safe place to stay. A bed, decent meals, and a place i can contribute my abilities to. I am apart of a community...but...I still have hopes of returning to the base.....

*sighing* That damn Walter knows nothing about maintenance. He thinks a few strands of tape and bolts will hold together a hydro filtration system! These seem to be a thrown together machines from various pre-war components. It gives me a head-ache just thinking about it....

How an old man with a few loose screws himself became head maintenance personal is frighting to me. How did Megaton stay together without someone like me? Ugh....

Water isn't my only concern as of recently. I have been spending a increasing amount of time with Moria in her shop. She is....fascinating to say the least. The kind of cheerful attitude you want to stick a knife in when results ain't replicated coherently. I do admit, I have learned more about "wasteland tech" from her then anybody. At the base we had supplies and perfectly maintained machines....here....in the Capitol Wasteland that is....it's just so much different then I had imagined.

As odd as it sounds: It is surprisingly nice to have sleepless nights filled with scientific endeavors. We never did sleep much back on base due to the ever rising demand for new technology and information. I recently had an "all-nighter" with Moria working on a cure for radiation. She tried to get me to drink the water around the old atom-bomb for tests on a highly irradiated subject, but I told her I wouldn't do something so dangerous for science. We had specimens back at the base for that, who would use a healthy human? We instead conducted smaller scale testing. I am surprised what a couple of magnets and brahmin milk can do!


As a "reward" of sorts for all my work with her, she gave me the schematics of a project she called a Rock-it Launcher. I copied the blueprints to my pda and handed her back the material copy. Surprisingly, the thing is really just a reversed vacuum that shoots miscellaneous objects out of a fire hose. It sounded like a project of many uses, but Moria's obsession with a book about survival kept her from making one herself.

Imagine the possibilities! Wastelanders no longer need to scavenge for precious caliber ammunition, but could use random assortments of common day items to defend themselves! chances of survival could be drastically increased and the stories with the phrase "then we ran out of ammo" would be a thing of myth! Needless to say, I started right away.

It didn't take me long with my ingenious mind, but a few problems occurred in the build process. The first was supplying a vacuum with enough voltage to power it up enough to push objects at high velocities out of a cylinder output. A fixed that with a back-pack like set up combining the vacuum and a regular car-battery. That is only temporary for now, as a car's battery runs off an atomic power source and the only place to find those now are in old cars. Plus, if shot right I guess it could erupt....hypothetically....

The second was fitting the fire-hose onto the vacuum without a gap anywhere. I guess it isn't called a vacuum for nothing. Tape wasn't strong enough and metal wasn't flexible enough. I went to the town down the road, but nothing could be found of any sort of flexible rubbers. I came back, defeated, to Moria who happened to have just a solution. I took an old raider outfit she had "laying around for a rainy day" and cut the diminished tire off of it to use that rubber to fill the gaps and wonder glue to hold it. Moria can be so convenient sometimes. I guess the tire wasn't need on the outfit anyway.....won't stop a bullet if that was what the previous owner was thinking...

The finished product was heavier and bulkier then I had imagined. I lugged the massive weapon to the gun range and took this photo in triumph. As a quick side-project, I am surprised at the quality of it. The obvious...kinks...can be worked out later on, but for now wastelanders can rejoice in the product of a defensive tool with a infinite cache of ammo...you can just trip over! Hahah, I should package it with that phrase!

*background interference* I have taken my recording out to record my triumphant first run of my Rock-it Launcher. The audio function will record this historic moment, while the camera will snap a photo at the exact second I fire. I have chosen a rusty pair of scissors as my first demonstrative ammo type. Now...I just have to...*unintelligible words*

There! Loaded! Prepare for history!


*a increasing whirling noise followed by rhythmic clicking*

Ok, what the hell?!

1 comments:

Unknown said...

once again fine job but I think I like tell it after version better.

Post a Comment